Helpful suggestions from Ryan on shipping firearms both in-state and across state lines including tips about the major carrier options.
If you’d like to learn more, check out this firearm shipping guide.
Why to ship instead of fly.
Intrastate – not a “transfer” needing an FFL
Interstate – to yourself or FFL only (To you, care of (c/o) the other person – not transfer if unopened)
Keep box un-taped for possible inspection and declare the firearm.
Handguns – non FFL use UPS or FedEx only.
Ammo – Use UPS or FedEx only – GROUND. Must be marked ORM-D/diamond.
No law that I know of about ammo and firearm in same box (rules only)
USPS – US Mail
• Long-guns only for non-FFL
• Best for price/insurance
• No ammo
• Include a “Return Service Requested” endorsement.
• Ship using Priority Mail Express.
• Signature is required and must be used at delivery
UPS – FFLs only (their rules)
• Should not identify firearm (label/box)
• Handguns overnight
• Ammo ground-only marked 66lb max
• No markings (must not)
• Ammo in separate package
Have a copy of your FFL